Unhealthy ways to manage stress that may work for the very short term:
- Overusing medications
- Reckless behaviors
Healthy ways of managing your stress that will assist you in the long run:
- Take a sheet of paper and draw a line down the center of it
- In the first column, identify what stresses you out (big and small)
- In the second column, identify what you do to cope with the stress
- Once you have completed your list, highlight the ones that are most frequent and most severe
- This will be the start of your journey in reducing our anxiety. You will work on those that are most frequent and severe because they cause you the most distress.
- If you are in need of support in managing this, reach out to a friend, family, sponsor or counselor.
- Develop a toolbox of stress relieving resources
- Deep breathing exercises
- Mindfulness exercises
- Guided Imagery
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation
- Talking to a supportive person/Talk Therapy
- Journal Writing
- Regular Sleep
- Medications when prescribed by a Medical Doctor or Psychiatrist
- Healthy Nutrition
- What else can you think of or has worked for you?
Stress can take on many forms as it can sometimes provide you with motivation, give you energy, and move you forward. However, it can also lead to burnout, health issues, mental health issues and social issues. Taking care of yourself allows you to take care of others. Put yourself first.